Revealing a Mexican Masterpiece: The Virgin of Valvanera
Revealing a Mexican Masterpiece: The Virgin of Valvanera, showcases a painting from the DAM's Spanish Colonial art collection attributed to Cristóbal de Villalpando. This large-scale oil painting made in colonial Mexico around 1700 recently underwent conservation funded by a grant from Bank of America's Art Conservation Project. The subject of The Virgin of Valvanera is European in origin and derives from a legend of a statue of the Virgin hidden in a tree during an invasion in the area of Valvanera, Spain. Villalpando is considered the most accomplished artist of the colonial period in Mexico and a pioneer in developing a unique painting style decidedly divergent from European traditions.
Cost: Included in admission
Phone: (303) 640-4433
Event url: denverartmuseum.org/exhibitions/revealing-mexican-masterpiece
100 W. 14th Ave. Pkwy.
Denver, CO 80204
Other Dates & Times
- Friday, February 2, 2018, 10:00 AM - 8:00 PM
- Friday, January 26, 2018, 10:00 AM - 8:00 PM
- Sunday, February 18, 2018, 10:00 AM - 5:00 PM
- Sunday, February 11, 2018, 10:00 AM - 5:00 PM
- ? Show All
More Event Ideas
- More Art and Exhibits Events
- Wednesday, Mar 14, 12:00 PM
- Thursday, Apr 12, 12:00 PM
- More Events at Denver Art Museum
- Saturday, Feb 10, 10:00 AM
- More Events on January 30, 2018
- Tuesday, Jan 30, 8:00 PM
- Tuesday, Jan 30, 8:00 AM
- Tuesday, Jan 30, 6:00 PM
What can we do for you?
Thank you for your input. Please fill out the form below and provide as much information as possible about updates to this event or venue.